Thursday, July 30, 2009

Luscious Batiks & New Products


Are we in the "dog days"of summer yet? Feels like it here. Very hot days give us a good excuse to go sew. Put a couple lemon or lime wedges in a glass of ice water and head to the sewing room. Be sure to aim a fan straight at your chair. Crank up the tunes, or put a book on CD into the machine and you will while away the hot hours without breaking a sweat.

If you are in need of some inspiration, I just received some very luscious batiks from Princess Mirah Bali Batiks. Don't have a camera handy today, but stop by to see for yourself. We all know that buying fabric from the internet isn't nearly as satisfying as petting it in person first.

We now have a good stock of polyester fiberfill. This past Saturday we had our "Hope You Can Make It For Christmas" class. What fun! This class was on constructing pillows or pillow covers (for sofa or floor pillows you already have.) In honor of "Christmas in July" we made winter pillows with a cheery "Ho, ho, ho" on them. Some of us are making wall hangings with the same motif. Naturally, we also thought of other people that would like our pillows and needed more fiberfill, so, I ordered it, and it is now here.

Seems that no matter what time of year it is, we have to do laundry!

I have recently stocked a couple of items to make that chore easier. In stock is Retayne that stops dye from bleeding, Magic Wand and Grandma's Secret Spot Remover for stubborn spots and Dye Grabber Cloths, which grabs & absorbs loose dye in your wash.

Speaking of laundry--which is only fun if you are washing new fabric--have you tried the Mary Ellen's Best Press spray starch? I have to say I am sold on this product. I only had to try it a few times to see how it smooths fabric, doesn't leave flakes, and makes cutting and piecing on the bias so much easier. I now have smaller bottles of this product, the price is easier on the pocketbook.

Gary and I are heading to Eureka, Montana tomorrow. The quilt show is on Saturday, and I plan on wandering through all the quilts, stopping when I want, and reading all the papers on each one. I don't get to do that when we are vendors at shows. Usually, I only see the quilts on the way to the restroom! We will take photos and I will write my impressions next week.

In Stitches,

Nona

Mrs. Sew~n~Sew

No comments: