Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Cutting Kits & Stacking Fabric

Happy mid-week, fellow quilters!

In spite of the weather predictions of a hot & sunny day, I am starting out by cutting kits for rag time flannel quilts. Many of you have made these warm, cuddly, kid friendly quilts. Most of us have complained over the endless clip, clip, clipping to get the curled flannel edges. Well, let me tell you--I have a die for my AccuQuilt Cutter that cuts the blocks with the edges already clipped. This is not cheating, by the way, it is simply smart quiltmaking. These kits are quick to make up. Kits for quick quilts are a natural for summer, when our sewing time has to be taken in fits and spirts.

Yesterday I received a big box of new fabric. I am so excited about the "Ethnic Echoes" by Blank Textiles in indigo. My secret is, I am planning on putting several projects on hold so I can make myself a summer dress and maybe a camp shirt or two out of these fabrics. The indigo blues are so cool and crisp looking for summer. Of course, my mind is playing with quilt patterns for this line as well. Check these out, because they will probably sell out as quickly as the "Pixie Patch" sunflower fabric. Another popular fabric, also by Blank, has been the "Barnyard" line, with goofy round eyed cows, chickens & pigs. Well, they added more to that line, and I just receive grinning horses, nervous looking sheep and a fresh bolt of the barnyard print. If you forgot to pick up a gift for a baby shower, come get a pre-cut kit out of "Barnyard" for my "2 Hour (More or Less)" baby quilt. We also have the kits pre-cut in the lap quilt size.

Gary & I will be leaving July 2 to go to Troy, Montana to be vendors at their quilt show, held July 3 & 4. We get home July 5 long enough to unload, then we will be gone for the entire following week, visiting our kids in Oregon & California. I plan on posting at least once or twice during our trip, so watch for something unexpected!

When we return I will be in full planning mode for my upcoming "Sizzling Summer Sunday Sew-In" class. I am holding a class on August 9 from 1 PM in the afternoon until 9 PM that evening. I will be teaching four different projects from my book, "Top This!" I tentatively plan on teaching: "Star Crystals" --a beginner level paper piecing class, "Bears in These Woods,""August Sunshine," and "Jack the Runner." The day will feature a catered supper, goodie bags with a gift certificate, door prizes & other special treats. The cost is $40.00 and I am limiting the class to ten people, so sign up SOON!
In stitches,
Nona



No comments: